BUDGET 2020: Infrastructure;Highways,Railways
- Accelerated development of highways to be undertaken, including:
o 2500 Km access control highways.
o 9000 Km of economic corridors.
o 2000 Km of coastal and land port roads.
o 2000 Km of strategic highways.
- Delhi-Mumbai Expressway and two other packages to be completed by 2023.
- Chennai-Bengaluru Expressway to be started.
- Proposed to monetise at least 12 lots of highway bundles of over 6000 Km before 2024.
- Five measures:
o Large solar power capacity to be set up alongside rail tracks, on land owned by railways.
o Four station re-development projects and operation of 150 passenger trains through PPP.
o More Tejas type trains to connect iconic tourist destinations.
o High speed train between Mumbai and Ahmedabad to be actively pursued.
o 148 km long Bengaluru Suburban transport project at a cost of Rs 18600 crore, to have fares on metro model. Central Government to provide 20% of equity and facilitate external assistance up to 60% of the project cost.
- Indian Railways’ achievements:
o 550 Wi-fi facilities commissioned in as many stations.
o Zero unmanned crossings.
o 27000 Km of tracks to be electrified.
Ports & Water-ways:
- Corporatizing at least one major port and its listing on stock exchanges to be considered.
- Governance framework keeping with global benchmarks needed for more efficient sea-ports.
- Economic activity along river banks to be energised as per Prime Minister’s Arth Ganga concept.
- 100 more airports to be developed by 2024 to support Udaan scheme.
- Air fleet number expected to go up from present 600 to 1200 during this time.
- “Smart” metering to be promoted.
- More measures to reform DISCOMs to be taken.
- Rs.22, 000 crore proposed for power and renewable energy sector in 2020-21.
- Expansion of national gas grid from the present 16200 km to 27000 km proposed.
- Further reforms to facilitate transparent price discovery and ease of transactions.